Re: [Xen-devel] [Xen-users] Multiple serial ports in Windows HVM

> Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Multiple serial ports in Windows HVM
>
> On Thu, 2014-07-24 at 20:08 +0000, White, Edmund H wrote:
> > I have just moved from Xen 4.3 to 4.4. With 4.3 I used the xm toolstack, and
> I could define multiple serial ports in the config for my Windows domU like
> so:
> >
> > serial = [ "tcp::4464,server,nowait",
> > "file:/home/ed/logs/Tgt64bcom2.log" ]
>
> I had no idea xm would accept a list here. We should probably look at
> extending libxl/xl to support that. Is that something you think you could take
> a look at?

I have literally no idea where to start, but if you give me some pointers I'll
take a look.

> > However, the xl toolstack in 4.4 won't accept a list in the serial
> > definition. If I
> change it to:
> >
> > serial = "tcp::4464,server,nowait"
> > serial = "file:/home/ed/logs/Tgt64bcom2.log"
> >
> > I end up with a single serial port connected to the file.
>
> Right, the second one has overwritten the first.
>
> > How can I get two serial ports, with the first connected to a socket and the
> second connected to a file?
>
> Until someone implements support for lists of serial devices as a workaround
> you can pass arbitrary arguments to the qemu device model using
>         device_model_args=["--a thing", "--b another"]
>
> It looks like the xm serial translated pretty directly into arguments to
> -serial.

I had tried that without success before posting to the list. I tried again
today and
now have it working. The successful recipe is to define the first serial port
with:

serial = "tcp::4464,server,nowait"

and the second with

device_model_args = [ "-serial", "file:/home/ed/logs/Tgt64bcom2.log" ]

> Ian.

Ed