[Xen-devel] Fwd: Re: Fwd: Re: Xen 4.3 / 4.4 - concurrent APIs, VGA Passthru

  • To: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: Georg Bege <therion@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 03 Aug 2014 12:20:00 +0200
  • Delivery-date: Sun, 03 Aug 2014 10:21:18 +0000

-------- Original-Nachricht --------
Betreff: Re: [Xen-devel] Fwd: Re: Xen 4.3 / 4.4 - concurrent APIs, VGA Passthru
Datum: Sun, 03 Aug 2014 12:06:20 +0200
Von: Georg Bege <therion@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Antwort an: therion@xxxxxxxxxxxx
An: Gordan Bobic <gordan@xxxxxxxxxx>

Good day to you

Am 03.08.2014 11:40, schrieb Gordan Bobic:
> On 08/03/2014 02:09 AM, Georg Bege wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> I tried your suggestions now with Xen 4.3.2-r4 (Gentoo).
>> On Win7 64bit its not working at all, I cannot passthru the GFX -
>> I rolled back to a snapshot where I installed everything but not the
>> nvidia package.
>
> Just to clarify - which suggestion is that?
The suggestion, about trying to reduce the memory of the HVM DomU -
so I dont ran into IRQ trouble anymore.

>> So I tried it and it works out, reboots and then I get a message like:
>> "This device reported an error and had to be stopped, code 43."
>> within the device manager.
>> This happens whether Im trying the DomU with 8GB or 1024MB - same
>> results.
>> On Xen 4.4 I can passthru the GFX, no problem but its very slow (as I've
>> written already).
>
> Have you tried an older Nvidia driver? I'm running the latest 331.x
> driver on both XP and Win7 (both x64).
Not yet, Im using the latest 337.88 on both winxp 64bit and win7 64bit.
(Btw. just tested WinVista 64bit same issue, I guess since they are same
NT6 family they dont differ that much)

> The slowness might be indicative of an interrupt related problem. The
> boot parameters I'm running with are as follows:
>
> xen.gz: dom0_vcpus_pin iommu=dom0-passthrough unrestricted_guest=1 msi=1
> vmlinuz: intel_iommu=on pcie_aspm=off pcie_ports=compat
You are absolutly right, it must be an interrupt problem - I first
thought it might still be about the problem about the IOMMU memory you
suggested - but it isnt.
As soon as I passthru the vga to win7, the VM gets slow... without
passing thru the GFX its just normal as you would expect - if I pass
other hardware like usb3 controller or Intel HD Audio, no problem either.

> Note: The pcie_aspm=off pcie_ports=compat are to work around a bug on
> my motherboard that causes a massive interrupt flood due to a device
> on ICH10 flapping between hotplug states and creating an interrupt
> storm that makes the entire machine permanently unusable as soon as
> the kernel starts probing devices. You probably don't need those two
> options but they shouldn't do any harm while you're troubleshooting.
Yes I came to the same conclusion, that power saving states might do a
problem also especially ASPM (see above), it was activated in my BIOS
and I deactivated it.
No difference so far, but I also deactivated C-States and I still can
see them in xenpm, maybe the BIOS options dont get in effect?
I'll try the xen parameters you suggest, maybe that will do the trick.