Re: [Xen-devel] Current state of Xen microcode (Was: Re: uploading 3.16~rc5-1~exp1)

On Mon, Aug 04, 2014 at 03:40:45PM +0100, Jan Beulich wrote:

> > http://anonscm.debian.org/viewvc/kernel/dists/trunk/linux/debian/patches/feat

> > http://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel/git/konrad/xen.git/log/?h=stable/mis

> >> Except that all this still doesn't take care of updating microcode at
> >> runtime. Yet that should - like kexec - be implemented in the
> >> respective tools such that no kernel involvement it required.
> >
> > What are such tools?
>
> Wasn't there a microcode_ctl tool/package?

There was but it is obsolete:

>>> What it does
Deploy an Intel and AMD microcode. This tool is obsolete and the microcode
is the subject to be distributed via kernel-firmware, however Intel still
does not supply the microcode in a form consumable by the Linux's microcode

> > My recollection is that it is matter of
> > sticking the files in /lib/firmware and then udev - will try
> > at the detection of an CPU becoming online, do:
> >  - load microcode module
> >  - echo 1 > to the 'reload' sysfs parameter
> >
> > Perhaps the solution is simple:
> >  - write an xen userspace tool that will do this loading via
> >    the hypercalls.
> >  - plug said tool in the udev script that comes with xen.
> >  - distros will install said udev scripts when they install Xen rpms?
> >
> > That sounds too simple to be true. I must be missing something :-)
>
> That would be an option too (namely if, say, the microcode_ctl tool
> is considered deprecated/dead), and indeed can't be very difficult.

Vacation does wonders for ones brain! I shall put it on the TODO list.
thank you!