Re: [Xen-devel] ELF .note BSD_SYMTAB

On 06/08/2014 20:24, Ryan O'Neill wrote:
Hello. After reading through some of the libelf-loader.c and
libelf-dominfo.c code, it appears that Xen expects BSD guest kernels
to have an ELF .note auxillary entry of type XEN_ELFNOTE_BSD_SYMTAB
that gets parsed in so that Xen knows to allocate room for the kernels
symbol table. I do not see this Note (Or any note segment/section) in
my freebsd guest kernel image (readelf -n). Can someone explain to me
if this Note is still used? If so, then in what case?

There is no expectation persay.  Merely alternative actions taken if found.

I seem to recall (or I might be completely confused), it is a somewhat legacy NetBSDism, so I would not be at all surprised if modern FreeBSD doesn't use it.

~Andrew