[Xen-devel] Introduction / Upcoming project ?

  • To: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: "Allan R. Batteiger" <arb@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 07 Aug 2014 13:01:56 -0500
  • Delivery-date: Thu, 07 Aug 2014 18:02:04 +0000

Good morning
I am one of the new owners of the Microware OS-9 RTOS. We have been spending the last year updating the RTOS and adding new CPU support. One of the upcoming ( almost immediately) projects is to support an OS-9 / Linux mixed environment. We currently do this in the X86 world for several customers. They run Windows or Linux on several cores to communicate via a socket to the OS-9 RTOS which is running their Real-Time environment. We would like to do the same thing in the ARM world. Currently I have OS-9 up and running on the Freescale I.mx6Q and similar Cores. What I would like to do is implement on the I.mx6Q OS-9 RTOS on a core and Linux on the remaining cores. After doing some research I think I can do this with XEN, but I am having trouble finding or understanding enough about XEN to know if this is possible. In the X86 version we currently support the Hypervisor (RTS from Germany) does a HW partition of devices and then boots the OS-9 and Windows based on a config file. Each OS can be booted independent of each other. There is an API and socket interface implemented for IPC and network communications. Can someone point me to the correct place to find documentation of how this would be accomplished with XEN. I have been reading a lot of what I have found, but it does not seem to be relevant to what I am trying to do. Is what I am trying to do possible with XEN ? I am planning on attending the XEN developers conf in Chicago in a couple of weeks to get a lot more information.

Thank you
Allan R. Batteiger