Re: [Xen-devel] cpufreq implementation for OMAP under xen hypervisor.

On Fri, Aug 22, 2014 at 2:05 AM, Stefano Stabellini <stefano.stabellini@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
It is not stupid, it is actually possible to do it that way.

It would be similar to do cpufreq in dom0: anything you can run in Dom0,
you can also run separately in a little stubdom.

However I think that it would be best to do it in Xen.

Ok, what the reason is to prefer to do cpufreq in Xen?

With driver domain we can once provide stable binary ABI for cpufreq and do not have any confusion with sources, patches and branches. If we will do cpufreq in Xen I expect in the nearest future large amount of patches for cpufreq for wide variety of ARM platforms.

With best regards,

On Tue, 19 Aug 2014, Vitaly V. Ch wrote:
> Hi Stefano,
>
> What do you think about implementation cpufreq driver as stub driver domain?
>
> Just now I'm not familar enought with latest XEN fetures so my question can be a little stupid :)
>
> With best regards,
>
> Vitaly
>

> On Tue, Aug 12, 2014 at 3:15 PM, Stefano Stabellini <stefano.stabellini@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>Â Â Â ÂOn Tue, 12 Aug 2014, Oleksandr Dmytryshyn wrote:
>Â Â Â Â> Hi to all.
>Â Â Â Â>
>Â Â Â Â> I want to implement an cpufreq support for OMAP processors in xen. I
>Â Â Â Â> use the Linux kernel as Dom0.
>Â Â Â Â>
>Â Â Â Â> I know that there are 2 implementations of cpufreq: Domain0 based
>Â Â Â Â> cpufreq and Hypervisor based cpufreq. But those implementations are
>Â Â Â Â> made only for x86 architecture, not for the ARM architecture.
>Â Â Â Â>
>Â Â Â Â> Could anybody give me an advise how to do that?
>
> I think that the best way would be to introduce cpufreq support directly
> in the Xen hypervisor. I would:
>
> 1) get cpufreq (xen/drivers/cpufreq) to build and run on ARM, with a dummy driver
> although the cpufreq infrastructure has been written with x86 in mind,
> it should be generalizable
>
> 2) write a cpufreq driver for OMAP

Vitaly Chernooky |ÂSenior Developer - Product Engineering and Development
GlobalLogic
P +380.44.4929695 ext.1136 M +380.98.7920568 S cvv_2k