[Xen-devel] performance save/restore under xen-4.3.2 compared to kvm/qemu

  • To: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: ustermann.max@xxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2014 14:06:38 +0200
  • Delivery-date: Mon, 25 Aug 2014 12:08:26 +0000

Hello everybody,

i hope, i am right here with my question.

i have an vm with 1 GB main memory under Xen-4.3.2, if i measure the times for
save and restore via "time", i got the following values:

save:
real    0m12.136s
user    0m0.175s
sys     0m2.662s

restore:
real    0m8.639s
user    0m0.468s
sys     0m1.807s

if i do the same with an vm under kvm/qemu (1GB main memory), i got this values:

save:
real    0m10.024s
user    0m0.008s
sys     0m0.003s

restore:
real    0m0.525s
user    0m0.015s
sys     0m0.004s

the host hardware is in both cases the same.
iÂm real surprise about the huge difference for the needed time for restore,
also that xen use much more time in kernel-mode (sys).
Can anyone give me some hints from where this difference can came?
Is there a way to speedup the restore-process in xen?

IÂm thankful for every hint

all the best
max