Re: [Xen-devel] Question about xentrace to trace s_time_t type of data

Hi Konrad,

Thank you very much for answering my question!

âI actually have a question regarding to your answer. Â

Briefly speaking, I'm thinking what you suggests is doing the same (or similar) thing as I did? Below is my reason.

> I'm trying to trace the scheduler-specific events for debug purpose by
> using xentrace (instead of using printk). I read the trace code in credit
> and credit2 scheduler (sched_credit.c and sched_credit2.c) and "followed"
> the way credit2 wrote.
>
> I added the following code into the burn_budget() in my scheduler file,
> sched_rt.c:
>
>Â Â Â Â Â/* TRACE */
>
>Â Â Â Â Â{
>
>Â Â Â Â Â Â Âstruct {
>
>Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Âunsigned dom:16,vcpu:16;
>
>Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Âs_time_t cur_budget;
>
>Â Â Â Â Â Â Â} d;
>
>Â Â Â Â Â Â Âd.dom = svc->vcpu->domain->domain_id;
>
>Â Â Â Â Â Â Âd.vcpu = svc->vcpu->vcpu_id;
>
>Â Â Â Â Â Â Âd.cur_budget = svc->cur_budget;
>
>Â Â Â Â Â Â Âtrace_var(TRC_RT_BUDGET_REPLENISH, 1,
>
>Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Âsizeof(d),
>
>Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â(unsigned char *) &d);

You put the virtual address addresss of your 'd' structure
that is on the stack in the trace file. That does not contain any
data except an address.

What you need to do is to put the data as such:

    uint32_t dom_vcpu;

    dom_vcpu = srv->vcpu->domain->domain_id;
    dom_vcpu |= (svc->vcpu->vcpu_id << 16);
    TRACE_2D(TRC_RT_BUDGET_REPLENISH, dom_vcpu, svc->cur_budget);

âIn file xen/include/xen/trace.h, TRACE_2D is defined as follows:

#define TRACE_2D(_e,d1,d2)Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â \

  do {                            \

    if ( unlikely(tb_init_done) )              \

    {                            \

      u32 _d[2];                     \

      _d[0] = d1;                     \

      _d[1] = d2;                     \

      __trace_var(_e, 1, sizeof(_d), _d);         \

    }                            \

 ÂÂ} while ( 0

âIn the same file, the trace_var() is defined as follows:

static inline void trace_var(u32 event, int cycles, int extra,

ÂÂ Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â const void *extra_data)

{

  if ( unlikely(tb_init_done) )

    __trace_var(event, cycles, extra, extra_data);

} ÂÂâ

The description of the function __trace_var(u32 event, bool_t cycles,ÂunsignedÂintÂextra,constÂvoidÂ*extra_data)Âis in xen/common/trace.c:Â

/**Â Â Â

Â* __trace_var - Enters a trace tuple into the trace buffer for the current CPU.

Â* @event: the event type being logged

Â* @cycles: include tsc timestamp into trace record

Â* @extra: size of additional trace data in bytes

Â* @extra_data: pointer to additional trace data

Â*

Â* Logs a trace record into the appropriate buffer.

Â*/â

So I'm thinking what you suggests is doing the same (or similar) thing as I did? In addition, from the description of the function __trace_var() , it seems I should parse the pointer of the struct d to this function.Â

âMaybe I misunderstood your suggestion?Â

Thank you very much for your time!

Best,

Mengâ