[Xen-devel] Map NVRAM to domU kernels

  • To: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: ayush ruia <ayushruia@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2014 15:03:11 -0500
  • Delivery-date: Fri, 29 Aug 2014 06:36:41 +0000

Hi All,

I am trying to get Xen to work with Non-volatile RAM across multiple domU kernels. Thus any help and pointers on ways to achieve this would be really helpful. My question is summarized below.

How does Xen handle the e820 memory map for domU kernels. The test machine e820 memory map that I am working on, returns the following ( Just showing the relevant parts) corrosponding the NVRAM.

100000000-17fffffff : System RAM
180000000-37fffffff : reserved

The second line corrosponds to the NVRAM which is a region from 6GB to 14GB in the dom0 kernel. This is the region that I am trying to share across multiple DomU kernels just like a malloc pool.Â

Your help is highly appreciated.Â

P.S. : If I attempt to write to this region from the domU kernel will Xen intercept this write operation. Actually this is just a memory region write which should not be a problem, but it might appear as a hardware access.

Regards,
Ayush Ruia.