Re: [Xen-devel] vnc=1 / pvgrub / close fb: backend at /local/domain/0/backend/vfb/xx/0

On Wed, 2014-10-22 at 21:10 +1100, Steven Haigh wrote:
> It seems like thats the case sadly. We have always pushed people towards
> pv-grub for that extra bit of security - but a world of documentation
> ignores the existence of pv-grub. As such, I doubt most people have even
> stumbled across pv-grub.

I have an outstanding TODO to write a blog post about pvgrub2 and how to
use it, this stuff really does need to get better propagated.

> I remember talk of pygrub being phased out - but I don't recall to what
> extent or what timeframe that is.

That's not the case, both pygrub and pvgrub[12] have their uses (that's
not to say we wouldn't suggest people think very hard about using pygrub
in their environment)

> >> I've no idea for #1 though.
> >
> > I wonder too.
> >
> >> Oh, is this with pvgrub 1 (the thing which ships with Xen) or pvgrub 2
> >> (from the upstream grub project fairly recently)? Your logs hint towards
> >> the former.
> >
> > Yes, the logs definitely look like mini-os, thus pvgrub 1.
>
> Yes, this is the Xen shipped pv-grub. I haven't found any mention of
> pvgrub 2 before - any links for that? I assume it can just be built and
> called from within the DomU config?

I think it's mostly ./configure --with-platform=xen, followed by the
usual grub2 install steps.

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/grub-devel/2013-11/msg00085.html has
an outline.

Debian has a grub-xen-bin package in Jessie now but IIRC you are an RPM
kinda guy.

Ian.