Re: [Xen-devel] xen_guest_init() failed

On 10/28/2014 03:51 PM, Iurii Konovalenko wrote:
> Hello, all!

Hello Iurii,

> I try to bring up Xen on Renesas Lager board (r8a7790 SoC - R-Car H2).
> Xen revision is 4.4.
> I try to run Linux (kernel 3.14 + LTSI patches) as Dom0.
> But I failed to start Dom0.
> After a bit of investigation, I've founded following.
> In kernel i have patch efaf30a3 "xen/grant: Implement an grant frame
> array struct (v3)." by Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk. It makes changes, one of
> which is adding to arch/arm/xen/enlighten.c in function
> xen_guest_init(void) call of function
> gnttab_setup_auto_xlat_frames(phys_addr_t addr) with argument, that
> points to memory in RAM.
> gnttab_setup_auto_xlat_frames in tern call xen_remap() with this
> address as an argument. xen_remap() is defined to ioremap_cache(), but
> as it is ioremap, it fails to remap RAM memory - in file
> arch/arm/mm/ioremap.c in function __arm_ioremap_pfn_caller():
>
>     /*
>      * Don't allow RAM to be mapped - this causes problems with ARMv6+
>      */
>
>     if (WARN_ON(pfn_valid(pfn)))
>         return NULL;
>
> Could you please provide any suggestions how to left functionality,
> provided by this patch, but avoid failing of remapping.

Linux is getting the grant-table region from the device tree. For DOM0,
this region has been chosen by Xen. The default value are
0xb0000000-0xb0020000. This region should not overlap with any device
MMIO mapped to Xen nor the whole RAM.

If the memory layout of your platform uses this region (for device,
RAM...), you have to find a free space and specify it in the specific
code for your platform.

You can give a look to xen/arch/arm/platforms/xgene-storm.c for an
example. Those fields are called dom0_gnttab_start and dom0_gnttab_size.

Regards,

--
Julien Grall