Re: [Xen-devel] RFC: Configuring rumprun-xen application stacks from Xenstore

pooka@xxxxxx said:
> On 13/11/14 17:07, Martin Lucina wrote:
> > pooka@xxxxxx said:
> >> Actually, hmm, there's already an image for /etc available.  I
> >> understood from irc discussion that you needed slight modifications to
> >> passwd for mathopd.  In case your changes don't conflict with what's
> >> already up there, you could just update the existing downloadable /etc
> >> image:
> >> https://github.com/rumpkernel/rumprun-xen/tree/master/img
> >
> > I'll add in a new image rather than touch the current one, so that it can
> > be cd9660 and read-only rather than ffs. Avoids needing to keep a "clean
> > image" around in case of crashes while developing. The old one can stay
> > until we replace the old demo code.
>
> Generally speaking, file systems support read-only mounts ...

Fair enough, will add in some basic fs options to the relevant parts.
cd9660 is still easier to rebuild on non-BSD hosts, it's just "genisoimage
-l -r -o file.iso <rootdir>".

> > Also, I'd prefer to call it 'stubetc' rather than 'etc' to make it clearer
> > that it's not supposed to be used as a normal /etc.
>
> I'd prefer it to be completely hidden from the user.  But sure, call it
> stubetc for now.
>
> > This brings up another question; what to do with resolv.conf, for example?
>
> Is resolv.conf an example, i.e. are there other files with similar
> needs?  Or can we figure out how to handle it as a special case?

Can't think of any. Went and looked in /etc on my laptop to see if anything
of note gets modified regularly and found nothing besides resolv.conf.

If we want to go down the route of not having a user-visible /etc at all
(which I think is a good idea) then perhaps we could modify the libc
resolver to add an API to set the DNS servers directly, which the
rumpconfig and/or dhcp stuff can call.

Martin