Re: [Xen-devel] ACPI shutdown unreliable with win7?

>> > You can avoid advertising S3/S4 in the ACPI tables, which iirc causes
>> > the same alteration to happen.
>> >
>> > Hvmloader uses the platform/acpi_s{3,4} booleans to control whether the
>> > relevant SSDTs are exposed.
>>
>> Which libxl even has settings for. That would perhaps be a better first
>> try than disabling ACPI shutdown.
>
> I've mentioned it at least twice now but nobody seems to think it is of
> note that even with the current settings it does the right thing about 1
> time in 10? Is Win7 really expected to behave so randomly here?

Perhaps not expected, but then I also don't think we install all the
latest bits, but whatever is on the install media? I know I've seen the
default action preselected for the user to be different on different
instances of native hardware Win7 installs (but of course that could
as well have been due to firmware differences, albeit I doubt there's
many moder systems around that don't support both S3 and S4).

> Also, when the test fails the guest is also not hibernating either.

Would we have ways to tell it at least tried to enter e.g. S3?

> Plus I've queried the impact of change the ACPI s3/s4 settings on the
> save/restore/migrate tests in the flight more than once and nobody has
> responded to that either.

I have no idea, and hence didn't respond to that part.

Jan