Re: [Xen-devel] grant tables and driver handshaking

On Thu, Jun 11, 2015 at 06:32:08AM -0600, Linda wrote:
> On 6/11/2015 4:43 AM, Wei Liu wrote:
> >On Wed, Jun 10, 2015 at 07:45:15PM -0600, Linda wrote:
> >>Hello all,
> >>     I will be writing a xen front and back-end pair for a 9p transport.  I
> >>have two areas where I'm still a little more muddled than I'd like to be.
> >>     Can anyone please recommend a good article on either grant tables or
> >> the
> >>handshaking between the front and back-end drivers, or both?
> >The handshake protocol needs to be designed by you. Generally speaking
> >you need to at least advertise the event channel and grant table
> >references. You also need to advertise other information that you
> >identify as part of the handshake process.
> OK.  That explains half of my muddle.
>
> Here's the other half.  The wiki article on xenbus taks about the front-end
> registering with xenbus, before anything else happens. But in blkback, it
> looks like it too has to do some kind of setup with xenbus, too.

Not sure if you still have questions in this area or not. If so please
reply and preferable with the specific code snippet you find
confusing.

> Since the backend is in DOM0, and is around longer than the DOMUs, this
> happens first.   It's that interaction that I'd like a little more text on.
> If it exists.

I'm not completely sure what you're referring to. That probably only
exists in code. The interaction between backend and frontend is very
driver specific.

Wei.