Re: [Xen-devel] Proposal: Feature Maturity Lifecycle

On Tue, Jun 16, 2015 at 3:06 PM, Wei Liu <wei.liu2@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> > This seems a reasonable compromise.  Rather than forcing a maintainer
>> > to engage with osstest as a condition of considering the feature
>> > flagged Supported, we gently nudge them to automate it to save
>> > themselves the hassle of testing it every release. :-)
>>
>> Alright. I will make a note of this and amend the next version.
>>
>> I was wondering whether any maintainers who will be impacted by this and the
>> Release Manager (current and past) have a view
>>

> The end result is probably we spam all maintainers for their components,
> regardlessly whether that components are tested in OSSTest or not.
> Triaging whether a component is tested by OSSTest can only be done by
> hand and is tedious and time consuming.
>
> The extra work load may be moderate if we only do it once per release
> and have the corresponding tool to generate emails automatically.

It wouldn't be that hard to mark, in our "supported feature" thing,
which features were in osstest and which features needed manual
testeng.  And then it wouldn't be that hard for a script to give you
1) a list of e-mail addresses of maintainers of features which need
manual testing, and 2) a boilerplate text that contained all the
features and a request for a release testing report.

I would envision it to be something like the monthly "release update"
e-mails -- each person scans through for their own projects and
replies-to-all.

 -George