Re: [Xen-devel] Fwd: [v3 14/15] Update Posted-Interrupts Descriptor during vCPU scheduling

On 07/09/2015 12:38 PM, Wu, Feng wrote:

> [...]

And I'd like to say -- sorry that I didn't notice this issue sooner; I
know you've had your series posted for quite a while, but I didn't
realize until last week that it actually involved the scheduler.  It's
really my fault for not paying closer attention -- you did CC me in v2
back in June.

> The migration is handled in arch_pi_desc_update() which is called
> by vcpu_runstate_change().

Well as far as I can tell from looking at the code,
vcpu_runstate_change() will not be called when migrating a vcpu which is
already blocked.

Consider the following scenario:
- v1 blocks on pcpu 0.
 - vcpu_runstate_change() will do everything necessary for v1 on p0.
- The scheduler does load balancing and moves v1 to p1, calling
vcpu_migrate().  Because the vcpu is still blocked,
vcpu_runstate_change() is not called.
- A device interrupt is generated.

What happens to the interrupt?  Does everything still work properly, or
will the device wake-up interrupt go to the wrong pcpu (p0 rather than p1)?

>  or to add a set of architectural hooks (similar to
>> the SCHED_OP() hooks) in the various places you need them.
>
> I don't have a picture of this method, but from your comments, seems
> we need to put the logic to many different places, and must be very
> careful so as to not miss some places. I think the above method
> is more clear and straightforward, since we have a central place to
> handle all the cases. Anyway, if you prefer to this one, it would be
> highly appreciated if you can give a more detailed solution! Thank you!

Well you can check to make sure you've caught at least all the places
you had before by searching for vcpu_runstate_change(). :-)

Using the callback method also can help prompt you to think about other
times you may need to do something.  For instance, you might still
consider searching for SCHED_OP() everywhere in schedule.c and seeing if
that's a place you need to do something (similar to the migration thing
above).

Anyway, the most detailed thing I can say at this time is to look at
SCHED_OP() and see if doing  something like that, but for architectural
callbacks, makes sense.

I'll come back and take a closer look a bit later.

 -George