Re: [Xen-devel] PV-vNUMA issue: topology is misinterpreted by the guest

On Mon, 2015-07-27 at 16:13 +0100, David Vrabel wrote:
> On 16/07/15 11:32, Dario Faggioli wrote:
> >
> > Anyway, is there anything we can do to fix or workaround things?
>
> This thread has gotten a bit long...

Yep, indeed... :-(

> For Linux I would like to see:
>
> 1. No support for NUMA in PV guests -- if you want new MM features in a
> guest use HVM.

Wow... Really? What about all the code we have in libxl and Xen to deal
exactly with that?  What about making it possible to configure vNUMA for
Dom0?

:-O

> 2. For HVM guests, use the existing hardware interfaces to present NUMA
> topology.  i.e., CPUID, ACPI tables etc.  This will work for both kernel
> and userspace and both will see the same topology.
>
> This also has the advantage that any hypervisor/toolstack work will also
> be applicable to other guests (e.g., Windows).

Yeah, indeed. That's the downside of Juergen's "Linux scheduler
approach". But the issue is there, even without taking vNUMA into
account, and I think something like that would really help (only for
Dom0, and Linux guests, of course).

Dario