Re: [Xen-devel] PV-vNUMA issue: topology is misinterpreted by the guest

On Mon, 2015-07-27 at 17:33 +0100, Andrew Cooper wrote:
> On 27/07/15 17:31, David Vrabel wrote:
> >
> >> Yeah, indeed. That's the downside of Juergen's "Linux scheduler
> >> approach". But the issue is there, even without taking vNUMA into
> >> account, and I think something like that would really help (only for
> >> Dom0, and Linux guests, of course).
> > I disagree.  Whether we're using vNUMA or not, Xen should still ensure
> > that the guest kernel and userspace see a consistent and correct
> > topology using the native mechanisms.
>
> +1

+1 from me as well. In fact, a mechanism for making exactly such thing
happen, was what I was after when starting the thread.

Then it came up that CPUID needs to be used for at least two different
and potentially conflicting purposes, that we want to support both and
that, whether and for whatever reason it's used, Linux configures its
scheduler after it, potentially resulting in rather pathological setups.

It's at that point that some decoupling started to appear
interesting... :-P

Also, are we really being consistent? If my methodology is correct
(which might not be, please, double check, and sorry for that), I'm
seeing quite some inconsistency around:

HOST:
 root@Zhaman:~# xl info -n
 cpu_topology           :
 cpu:    core    socket     node
   0:       0        1        0
   1:       0        1        0
   2:       1        1        0
   3:       1        1        0
   4:       9        1        0
   5:       9        1        0
   6:      10        1        0
   7:      10        1        0
   8:       0        0        1
   9:       0        0        1
  10:       1        0        1
  11:       1        0        1
  12:       9        0        1
  13:       9        0        1
  14:      10        0        1
  15:      10        0        1
 root@Zhaman:~# xl vcpu-list test
 Name                                ID  VCPU   CPU State   Time(s) Affinity
(Hard / Soft)
 test                                 2     0    0   r--       1.5  0 / all
 test                                 2     1    1   r--       0.2  1 / all
 test                                 2     2    8   -b-       2.2  8 / all
 test                                 2     3    9   -b-       2.0  9 / all

GUEST (HVM, 4 vcpus):
 root@test:~# cpuid|grep CORE_ID
   (APIC synth): PKG_ID=0 CORE_ID=16 SMT_ID=0
   (APIC synth): PKG_ID=0 CORE_ID=16 SMT_ID=1
   (APIC synth): PKG_ID=0 CORE_ID=0 SMT_ID=0
   (APIC synth): PKG_ID=0 CORE_ID=0 SMT_ID=1

HOST:
 root@Zhaman:~# xl vcpu-pin 2 all 0
 root@Zhaman:~# xl vcpu-list 2
 Name                                ID  VCPU   CPU State   Time(s) Affinity
(Hard / Soft)
 test                                 2     0    0   -b-      43.7  0 / all
 test                                 2     1    0   -b-      38.4  0 / all
 test                                 2     2    0   -b-      36.9  0 / all
 test                                 2     3    0   -b-      38.8  0 / all

GUEST:

 root@Zhaman:~# xl vcpu-pin 2 0 7
 root@Zhaman:~# xl vcpu-pin 2 1 7
 root@Zhaman:~# xl vcpu-pin 2 2 15
 root@Zhaman:~# xl vcpu-pin 2 3 15
 root@Zhaman:~# xl vcpu-list 2
 Name                                ID  VCPU   CPU State   Time(s) Affinity
(Hard / Soft)
 test                                 2     0    7   -b-      44.3  7 / all
 test                                 2     1    7   -b-      38.9  7 / all
 test                                 2     2   15   -b-      37.3  15 / all
 test                                 2     3   15   -b-      39.2  15 / all

GUEST:
 root@test:~# cpuid|grep CORE_ID
   (APIC synth): PKG_ID=0 CORE_ID=26 SMT_ID=1
   (APIC synth): PKG_ID=0 CORE_ID=26 SMT_ID=1
   (APIC synth): PKG_ID=0 CORE_ID=10 SMT_ID=1
   (APIC synth): PKG_ID=0 CORE_ID=10 SMT_ID=1

So, it looks to me that:
 1) any application using CPUID for either licensing or
    placement/performance optimization will get (potentially) random
    results;
 2) whatever set of values the kernel used, during guest boot, to build
    up its internal scheduling data structures, has no guarantee of
    being related to any value returned by CPUID, at a later point.

Hence, I think I'm seeing inconsistency between kernel and userspace
(and between userspace and itself, over time) already... Am I
overlooking something?

(I'll provide the same, for a PV guest, tomorrow.)

Regards,
Dario