Re: [Xen-devel] PRI_stime

>>> On 20.10.15 at 10:10, <George.Dunlap@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 20, 2015 at 7:26 AM, Jan Beulich <JBeulich@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> George, Dario,
>>
>> it being mostly used in scheduler code, and me considering it quite a
>> bit easier to compare such big numbers when shown in hex I wonder:
>> Do you prefer this to stay PRId64, or would you accept it to be
>> changed to PRIx64 (allowing it to be used in a few other places)?
>
> Personally I've never taken the time to familiarize myself with the
> magnitude of hex numbers vs decimal numbers; so in the case of time, I
> could easily see that 10000000 nanoseconds is about 1ms; but I don't
> have a good sense of how long 0x1000000 nanoseconds is.  The fact that
> our times are based on base 10 instead of base 2 is I think as good an
> argument as any for leaving it as a decimal.

Well, as long as the number of seconds the value represents is small,
this indeed is a good argument for using dec. However, already
when we get into the hour range we're talking about 12-digit values
without any separators, and at least for me this means counting
from either end to find a place where to put a mental separator. So
if staying with dec, perhaps we should make these second based,
i.e. <ssss>.<nnnnnnnnn>?

Jan