Re: [Xen-devel] Questions for patch "libxl: add basic spice support for pv domUs"

Il 18/11/2015 16:16, Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk ha scritto:
On Wed, Nov 18, 2015 at 12:13:06PM +0100, Fabio Fantoni wrote:
Long time ago, I did a libxl patch for add basic spice support for pv domUs.
I did some improvements based on comments I received, if I remember good I
did all except add of vfb parameters (vfb=['spice=1,...'])
Major of advanced spice features can't be added in pv (also now based on
what I know) like vdagent, usbredir, qxl but probably can be useful add it
to make possible use spice for both pv and hvm domUs.
There is also a minor thing present with vnc but not in spice missed in qemu
and I not understand how to add it that is automatic port selection (like
what do vncunused).
If I'm not wrong latest version (v6) is here:
https://github.com/Fantu/Xen/commit/dd51fe9bddcd8f190f7fd2f5d927c4fd3749b2cb

What do you think about this patch?
I'll probably rebased it to actual xen-unstable for 4.7 and I'm asking if
there are important changes that must be done.
Could you provide an example of how to use the spice? I tried it myself
but ran into trouble of running an 'spice' agent (or whatever it is called).

I fear it is just my ignorance - as in *maybe* I was running QEMU
using spice but it was not clear to me if that was the case. Is there
a particular standalone program to connect to a spice agent? (I tried
virt-viewer using 'spice://' but it complained and wasn't sure whether
that was because it wasn't compiled with that or I was doing something
silly).

Thanks!

Any help is appreciated.
Spice is not enable by default on xen build (but it is enabled on mainly distros upstream qemu packages), on my systems I add spice (server) and spice-protocol and I enable it in upstream qemu builtin in xen with:
--with-extra-qemuu-configure-args="--enable-spice --enable-usb-redir"

My full xen configure is:
./configure --prefix=/usr --disable-blktap1 --disable-qemu-traditional --disable-rombios --with-system-seabios=/usr/share/seabios/bios-256k.bin --with-extra-qemuu-configure-args="--enable-spice --enable-usb-redir" --disable-blktap2 --enable-ovmf

virt-viewer is the best spice client FWIK using for example 'remote-viewer
spice://<ip>:<port>' virt-viewer must be compiled with spice support (that
require spice-gtk installed)

I use it full features (with vdagent,usbredir,qxl) in production mainly with tens of windows 7 domUs with spice-guest-tools 0.100 (or 0.74 in older) on monitor 1920x1080 I use it for both thin client and maintenance. Before I used vnc for maintenance and rdp (installed in domU) with proprietary usb redirection (that are all bugged). Now with spice is only and better.

About pv domUs I use xen's "vkvm" (vnc or spice) only for maintenance and I prefer have spice also for them instead vnc if possible (what I'm doing with the patch above). The perfect would be have full features spice also with pv for good very low cost systems and good linux desktop domUs (for example for schools) but I fear it will never be possible.

Thanks for any reply and sorry for my bad english.