Re: [Xen-devel] [Intel-gfx] [Announcement] 2015-Q3 release of XenGT - a Mediated Graphics Passthrough Solution from Intel

Hi Kevin,

On Thu, 2015-11-19 at 04:06 +0000, Tian, Kevin wrote:
> [...]

My thought here is that this is all abstracted through the vGPU IOMMU
and device vfio backends.  It's the GPU driver itself, or some vfio
extension of that driver, mediating access to the device and deciding
when to configure GPU MMU mappings.  That driver has access to the GPA
to HVA translations thanks to the type1 complaint IOMMU it implements
and can pin pages as needed to create GPA to HPA mappings.  That should
give it all the pieces it needs to fully setup mappings for the vGPU.
Whether or not there's a system IOMMU is simply an exercise for that
driver.  It needs to do a DMA mapping operation through the system IOMMU
the same for a vGPU as if it was doing it for itself, because they are
in fact one in the same.  The GMA to IOVA mapping seems like an internal
detail.  I assume the IOVA is some sort of GPA, and the GMA is managed
through mediation of the device.

> > There are a few areas where we know we'll need to extend the VFIO API to
> > make this work, but it seems like they can all be done generically.  One
> > is that PCI BARs are described through the VFIO API as regions and each
> > region has a single flag describing whether mmap (ie. direct mapping) of
> > that region is possible.  We expect that vGPUs likely need finer
> > granularity, enabling some areas within a BAR to be trapped and fowarded
> > as a read or write access for the vGPU-vfio-device module to emulate,
> > while other regions, like framebuffers or texture regions, are directly
> > mapped.  I have prototype code to enable this already.
>
> Yes in GVT-g one BAR resource might be partitioned among multiple vGPUs.
> If VFIO can support such partial resource assignment, it'd be great. Similar
> parent/child concept might also be required here, so any resource enumerated
> on a vGPU shouldn't break limitations enforced on the physical device.

To be clear, I'm talking about partitioning of the BAR exposed to the
guest.  Partitioning of the physical BAR would be managed by the vGPU
vfio device driver.  For instance when the guest mmap's a section of the
virtual BAR, the vGPU device driver would map that to a portion of the
physical device BAR.

> One unique requirement for GVT-g here, though, is that vGPU device model
> need to know guest BAR configuration for proper emulation (e.g. register
> IO emulation handler to KVM). Similar is about guest MSI vector for virtual
> interrupt injection. Not sure how this can be fit into common VFIO model.
> Does VFIO allow vendor specific extension today?

As a vfio device driver all config accesses and interrupt configuration
would be forwarded to you, so I don't see this being a problem.

> > Another area is that we really don't want to proliferate each vGPU
> > needing a new IOMMU type within vfio.  The existing type1 IOMMU provides
> > potentially the most simple mapping and unmapping interface possible.
> > We'd therefore need to allow multiple "type1" IOMMU drivers for vfio,
> > making type1 be more of an interface specification rather than a single
> > implementation.  This is a trivial change to make within vfio and one
> > that I believe is compatible with the existing API.  Note that
> > implementing a type1-compliant vfio IOMMU does not imply pinning an
> > mapping every registered page.  A vGPU, with mediated device access, may
> > use this only to track the current HVA to GPA mappings for a VM.  Only
> > when a DMA is enabled for the vGPU instance is that HVA pinned and an
> > HPA to GPA translation programmed into the GPU MMU.
> >
> > Another area of extension is how to expose a framebuffer to QEMU for
> > seamless integration into a SPICE/VNC channel.  For this I believe we
> > could use a new region, much like we've done to expose VGA access
> > through a vfio device file descriptor.  An area within this new
> > framebuffer region could be directly mappable in QEMU while a
> > non-mappable page, at a standard location with standardized format,
> > provides a description of framebuffer and potentially even a
> > communication channel to synchronize framebuffer captures.  This would
> > be new code for QEMU, but something we could share among all vGPU
> > implementations.
>
> Now GVT-g already provides an interface to decode framebuffer information,
> w/ an assumption that the framebuffer will be further composited into
> OpenGL APIs. So the format is defined according to OpenGL definition.
> Does that meet SPICE requirement?
>
> Another thing to be added. Framebuffers are frequently switched in
> reality. So either Qemu needs to poll or a notification mechanism is required.
> And since it's dynamic, having framebuffer page directly exposed in the
> new region might be tricky. We can just expose framebuffer information
> (including base, format, etc.) and let Qemu to map separately out of VFIO
> interface.

Sure, we'll need to work out that interface, but it's also possible that
the framebuffer region is simply remapped to another area of the device
(ie. multiple interfaces mapping the same thing) by the vfio device
driver.  Whether it's easier to do that or make the framebuffer region
reference another region is something we'll need to see.

> And... this works fine with vGPU model since software knows all the
> detail about framebuffer. However in pass-through case, who do you expect
> to provide that information? Is it OK to introduce vGPU specific APIs in
> VFIO?

Yes, vGPU may have additional features, like a framebuffer area, that
aren't present or optional for direct assignment.  Obviously we support
direct assignment of GPUs for some vendors already without this feature.

> > Another obvious area to be standardized would be how to discover,
> > create, and destroy vGPU instances.  SR-IOV has a standard mechanism to
> > create VFs in sysfs and I would propose that vGPU vendors try to
> > standardize on similar interfaces to enable libvirt to easily discover
> > the vGPU capabilities of a given GPU and manage the lifecycle of a vGPU
> > instance.
>
> Now there is no standard. We expose vGPU life-cycle mgmt. APIs through
> sysfs (under i915 node), which is very Intel specific. In reality different
> vendors have quite different capabilities for their own vGPUs, so not sure
> how standard we can define such a mechanism. But this code should be
> minor to be maintained in libvirt.

Every difference is a barrier.  I imagine we can come up with some basic
interfaces that everyone could use, even if they don't allow fine tuning
every detail specific to a vendor.

> > This is obviously a lot to digest, but I'd certainly be interested in
> > hearing feedback on this proposal as well as try to clarify anything
> > I've left out or misrepresented above.  Another benefit to this
> > mechanism is that direct GPU assignment and vGPU assignment use the same
> > code within QEMU and same API to the kernel, which should make debugging
> > and code support between the two easier.  I'd really like to start a
> > discussion around this proposal, and of course the first open source
> > implementation of this sort of model will really help to drive the
> > direction it takes.  Thanks!
> >

> Thanks for starting this discussion. Intel will definitely work with
> community on this work. Based on earlier comments, I'm not sure
> whether we can exactly same code for direct GPU assignment and
> vGPU assignment, since even we extend VFIO some interfaces might
> be vGPU specific. Does this way still achieve your end goal?

The backends will certainly be different for vGPU vs direct assignment,
but hopefully the QEMU code is almost entirely reused, modulo some
features like framebuffers that are likely only to be seen on vGPU.
Thanks,

Alex