Re: [Xen-devel] [Intel-gfx] [Announcement] 2015-Q3 release of XenGT - a Mediated Graphics Passthrough Solution from Intel

On Thu, Nov 19, 2015 at 01:02:36PM -0700, Alex Williamson wrote:
> On Thu, 2015-11-19 at 04:06 +0000, Tian, Kevin wrote:

For exposing framebuffers for spice/vnc I highly recommend against
anything that looks like a bar/fixed mmio range mapping. First this means
the kernel driver needs to internally fake remapping, which isn't fun.
Second we can't get at the memory in an easy fashion for hw-accelerated
compositing.

My recoomendation is to build the actual memory access for underlying
framebuffers on top of dma-buf, so that it can be vacuumed up by e.g. the
host gpu driver again for rendering. For userspace the generic part would
simply be an invalidate-fb signal, with the new dma-buf supplied.

Upsides:
- You can composit stuff with the gpu.
- VRAM and other kinds of resources (even stuff not visible in pci bars)
  can be represented.

Downside: Tracking mapping changes on the guest side won't be any easier.
This is mostly a problem for integrated gpus, since discrete ones usually
require contiguous vram for scanout. I think saying "don't do that" is a
valid option though, i.e. we're assuming that page mappings for a in-use
scanout range never changes on the guest side. That is true for at least
all the current linux drivers.
-Daniel
--
Daniel Vetter