[Xen-devel] Which trees are supported (Was: Re: [qemu-upstream-4.2-testing test] 77180: regressions - FAIL)

>>> On 07.01.16 at 12:22, <ian.campbell@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> So this arose because Stefano was unaware that 4.2 was no longer supported.
> Neither am I ever confident about where the cut-off lie, e.g. I always have
> to ask if I am doing backports for a security issue.
>
> We should add rows to http://wiki.xen.org/wiki/Xen_Release_Features right
> under Initial Release giving first the date until which that tree is
> supported with backports and second the date until which security support
> will exist. We might also want to add a third "status" row. e.g.
> "Supported", "Security Support only", "EOL" (we'll deal with extended
> support by a third party when that next arises).
>
> I'm happy to make the edits, however I don't know what dates I would write
> here. Taking it to be 18 months of Support and a further 18 months of
> security support I would get:
>
>                       Xen 4.0         Xen 4.1         Xen 4.2         Xen 4.3
>         Xen 4.4         Xen 4.5         Xen 4.6
> Initial Release       7 April 2010    25 March 2011   17 Sept 2012    9 July
> 2013     10 March
> 2014  15 Jan 2015     13 Oct 2015
> Supported until               EOL - ???       EOL - ???       EOL - ???
> EOL - Jan 2015  EOL - Sept 2015 July
> 2016  April 2017
> Security support til  EOL - ???       EOL - ???       EOL - ???       July
> 2016       March 2016      Jan
> 2017  Oct 2018

4.4 is going to have normal support ended with the 4.4.4 release only;
4.4.3 got released a little too early from that perspective.

> (maybe those EOLs - ??? could be whatever the respective dates were, I
> didn't try and backtrack to try and find out if reality matched the plan)

At least for the older ones it's probably not worth to reconstruct. 4.2 had
its security support ended in Sept 2015.

Jan