Re: [Xen-devel] [v3,11/41] mips: reuse asm-generic/barrier.h

On Thu, Jan 14, 2016 at 09:15:13PM +0100, Peter Zijlstra wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 14, 2016 at 11:42:02AM -0800, Leonid Yegoshin wrote:
> > An the only point - please use an appropriate SYNC_* barriers instead of
> > heavy bold hammer. That stuff was design explicitly to support the
> > requirements of Documentation/memory-barriers.txt
>
> That's madness. That document changes from version to version as to what
> we _think_ the actual hardware does. It is _NOT_ a specification.

There is work in progress on a specification, but please don't hold
your breath.  And I am not as optimistic as I might be about any formal
specification keeping up with the Linux kernel or with the hardware that
it supports.  But it seems worth a good try.

> You cannot design hardware from that. Its incomplete and fails to
> specify a bunch of things. It not a mathematically sound definition of a
> memory model.
>
> Please stop referring to that document for what a particular barrier
> _should_ do.  Explain what MIPS does, so we can attempt to integrate
> this knowledge with our knowledge of PPC/ARM/Alpha/x86/etc. and improve
> upon our understanding of hardware and improve the Linux memory model.

Please!

                                                        Thanx, Paul