Re: [Xen-devel] [RFC V2] xen: interface: introduce pvclk interface

Hi Jan,

On Thu, Jan 21, 2016 at 12:53:01AM -0700, Jan Beulich wrote:
>> The platform device passthrough part for arm is to mapping the machine io
>> address
>> to the guest physical io address. Then guest can map the phsical io address
>> to its
>> own virtual address, then by accessing virtual address, guest can access
>> machine io address space.
>> So the platform device passthrough does not needs frontend/backend driver to
>> support, except smmu is handled by xen.
>>
>> But the platform device needs clk to drive the hardware IP, also may needs
>> pinmux settings.
>> the driver in guest needs to drive the hardware IP passed through to the
>> guest, so it needs to operate on the clk.
>>
>> Just pasted comments from George for V1:
>>
>> "
>> Just speaking from the perspective of a Xen dev who's not an ARM dev:
>> a few more words on the relationship between pvclk and
>> device-passthrough would be helpful to set the context.  It sounds
>> like:
>>
>> * On ARM, passing through a device requires a clocksource (at least
>> for many devices)
>>
>> * dom0 has the hardware clocksource, but at the moment domUs don't
>> have a suitable clocksource
>>
>> * This patch implements pvclk front/backend suitable for such devices
>>
>> Is that right?  In which case something like the following would be helpful:
>>
>> "This patch introduces pvclk, a paravirtualized clock source suitable
>> for devices to use when passing through to domUs on ARM systems."
>> "
>
>That's a possible perspective to take, but not the only one. In
>fact, coming to what I said previously, I wonder whether placing
>the "backend" in Dom0 is the right thing in the first place -
>fundamentally arbitration of hardware use should be done
>(or at least checked/enforced) by the hypervisor. I.e. just like
>while Dom0 may assign a PCI device to a guest, the hypervisor
>is in charge of actually making all the resources needed for this
>to work accessible to the guest, and/or verifying that permissions
>are in place (like e.g. when setting up interrupts). Yet the model
>proposed here completely bypasses the hypervisor afaict.

To platform device of ARM, hypervisor is responsible for the mapping
between machine address and guest physical address, also responsible
for the irq mapping.

But to embedded ARM SoC, the hardware clk IP is handled in Dom0.
On my i.MX platform, the hardware clk IP named
Clock Controller Module will output clks to drive different IPs, such as
uart,gpu,lcd,sd controller,scsi controller,pcie controller.
The hardware clock IP is not same for all ARM SoC vendors. ARM has
spec, such as GIC and SMMU to ask SoC vendors follow the spec, then
it's easy to let hypervisor handle them. But there is no common spec
for the clock IP.

>Are there connections between a platform device and its clock(s),
>e.g. in DT? If so, wouldn't it be possible for granting access to a
>platform device to imply granting control of the respective clock?

clock hardware IP is also a device. The following is partial dts for i.MX7Dual.
                        clks: ccm@30380000 {
                                compatible = "fsl,imx7d-ccm";
                                reg = <0x30380000 0x10000>;
                                interrupts = <GIC_SPI 85 IRQ_TYPE_LEVEL_HIGH>,
                                             <GIC_SPI 86 IRQ_TYPE_LEVEL_HIGH>;
                                #clock-cells = <1>;
                                clocks = <&ckil>, <&osc>;
                                clock-names = "ckil", "osc";
                        };

                        uart2: serial@30890000 {
                                compatible = "fsl,imx7d-uart",
                                             "fsl,imx6q-uart";
                                reg = <0x30890000 0x10000>;
                                interrupts = <GIC_SPI 27 IRQ_TYPE_LEVEL_HIGH>;
                                clocks = <&clks IMX7D_UART2_ROOT_CLK>,
                                        <&clks IMX7D_UART2_ROOT_CLK>;
                                clock-names = "ipg", "per";
                                status = "disabled";
                        };
uart2 needs clock IMX7D_UART2_ROOT_CLK from the ccm.
passthrough uart2, hypervisor handles the reg and interrupts, that is because
hypervisor handles the memory map and the interrupt controller(GIC). But here
CCM is not handled by hypervisor, it is handled by Dom0.

>In which case clock control might perhaps better become a
>hypercall based mechanism? And further - are all clocks in use for
>at most one platform device (i.e. is there no sharing possible)? If
>not, how do you envision to make multiple parties agree on the
>clock settings and state?

For ARMV8 server products, I am not sure whether hypercall is better; but to my
case, it's not feasible to use hypercall.

Dom0 handles all the clocks, DomU just send request to Dom0 and ask Dom0 to
enable/disable/set rate for a clock for the device. So I think it's okay
for multipile parties, the clk subsystem in Dom0 can handle mutiple requests
even
if the clock is shared. Anyway it also depends on the design of
frontend/backend driver.

>> Since my use case is for ARM embedded products, X86 may not need this.
>
>Which already points at one of the issues in your Linux patches:
>The drivers did get enabled unconditionally iirc, which would
>need changing especially when they're likely useless on x86.

(:-. This is an initial patch mainly for asking comments on the way I
implemented
to handle clock for platform device passthrough, and I hope xen and linux
experts can advise me if
the way I implemented is bad or they have better methods.
Maybe need "CONFIG_XEN_CLK" in the makefile.

Thanks,
Peng.