Re: [Xen-devel] Developers for virgl 3d windows guest support

On Tue, Jan 26, 2016 at 05:48:34PM +0100, Fabio Fantoni wrote:
> I take a fast look to virgl 3d project even if I not tested it for now. It
> seems interesting for adding 2d and 3d hw acceleration support to virtual
> machines with a large hw (gpu) choice.
> I take a look also to intel gvt-g but it has a very limited cpu support
> choice.
> I saw that windows guest support with direct3d drivers in virgl is planned
> but I nothing was done for now.
> I'm approaching a new project (based on xen) and I'm in planning phase now.
> My goal would be to have virgl 3d windows guest support (drivers with opengl
> and direct3d) and support of remote rendering with spice (we are already
> using with qxl for now)

Did you look at the VirtIO drivers and their roadmap?

> Are there any developers expert about these things that can advice me if
> developing windows drivers (WDDM kernel driver + GL and D3D userspace
> pieces) and any other needed pieces of code in virglrender, mesa, and /or
> qemu is a good choice?

I have no clue about Windows. But when I started working on Linux it took
me good three months to get comfortable. I would presume the same thing
is for Windows. Albeit you would need also to have understanding of
OpenGL.

> If yes, what we would like to know is approx time/effort to have the above
> support upstream. Approximately how many persons and how many time would
> require to complete the tasks? (my project is going to be financed so we
> eventually have resource to schedule working time in the community)

Um, .. Are you saying you need the person/month values so that you can
get the money? Or that you have the money and just need to figure out
if it can be done with the amount you have?