[Xen-devel] [Question] PARSEC benchmark has smaller execution time in VM than in native?

Hi,

We are measuring the execution time between native machine environment
and xen virtualization environment using PARSEC Benchmark [1].

In virtualiztion environment, we run a domU with three VCPUs, each of
them pinned to a core; we pin the dom0 to another core that is not
used by the domU.

Inside the Linux in domU in virtualization environment and in native
environment,  We used the cpuset to isolate a core (or VCPU) for the
system processors and to isolate a core for the benchmark processes.
We also configured the Linux boot command line with isocpus= option to
isolate the core for benchmark from other unnecessary processes.

We expect that execution time of benchmarks in xen virtualization
environment is larger than the execution time in native machine
environment. However, the evaluation gave us an opposite result.

Below is the evaluation data for the canneal and streamcluster benchmarks:

Benchmark: canneal, input=simlarge, conf=gcc-serial
Native: 6.387s
Virtualization: 5.890s

Benchmark: streamcluster, input=simlarge, conf=gcc-serial
Native: 5.276s
Virtualization: 5.240s

Is there anything wrong with our evaluation that lead to the abnormal
performance results?

Any suggestion or advice is really appreciated.

Thank you very much for your time on this question!

Best regards,

Meng

[1] http://parsec.cs.princeton.edu/