Re: [Xen-devel] Behaviour when setting CPU_BASED_MONITOR_TRAP_FLAG in hvm_do_resume()

On 06/03/16 13:35, Razvan Cojocaru wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Assuming I set v->arch.hvm_vmx.exec_control |=
> CPU_BASED_MONITOR_TRAP_FLAG; in hvm_do_resume(), would that cause a
> VMEXIT with EXIT_REASON_MONITOR_TRAP_FLAG _before_ the instruction at he
> current rIP runs, or _after_ it?
>
> A few tests I've ran suggest that the VMEXIT occurs _before_, i.e. the
> instruction is not running between setting the flag and the VMEXIT, but
> the actual code is a bit more involved and I might have just come across
> a corner case, so I thought it would be best to have official
> confirmation on the list.

Wow the SDM is opaque in its description of the monitor trap flag.

My reading of section 25.5.2 is that you will get a MTF exit on every
new instruction boundary, other than the rip pending at the vmentry,
which would give it fault semantics.

In the case of interacting with interrupts or traps, the trap/interrupt
action will occur before the MTF exit, and the exit will be on the
boundary starting the exception handler.

This would make it consistent with the other intercept semantics, where
even interception of software traps behave like faults.  (e.g. c/s 0747bc8)

~Andrew