Re: [Xen-devel] crash on boot with 4.6.1 on fedora 24

>>> On 11.05.16 at 09:00, <JGross@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Having a Xen specific pte flag seems to be much more intrusive than
> having an early boot page fault handler consisting of just one line
> being capable to mimic the default handler in just one aspect (see
> attached patch - only compile tested).

Well, this simple handler may serve the purpose here, but what's
the effect of having it in place on actual #PF (resulting e.g. from
a bug somewhere)? I.e. what diagnostic information will be
available to the developer in that case, now that the hypervisor
won't help out anymore?

As to the Xen-specific-ness of such a flag: ARM also has a
distinct FIXMAP_PAGE_IO, and in all reality that's what we care
about here. Whether that translates to a separate flag on x86 is
a secondary aspect. That said, I certainly understand that
re-introduction of the flag wouldn't be liked by the x86 maintainers
(and likely also not by David and others), but the question to me is
what the downsides are of not having it, not so much whether it
is "nice".

Jan