Re: [Xen-devel] crash on boot with 4.6.1 on fedora 24

On 11/05/16 13:21, Jan Beulich wrote:
>> On 11/05/16 08:00, Juergen Gross wrote:
>>> Adding David as he removed _PAGE_IOMAP in kernel 3.18.
>>
>> Why don't we get the RW bits correct when making the pteval when we
>> already have the pfn, instead trying to fix it up afterwards.
>
> While it looks like this would help in this specific situation, the next
> time something is found to access the M2P early, that would need
> another fix then. I.e. dealing with the underlying more general
> issue would seem preferable to me.

I'm more concerned with future regression caused by changes to the
generic x86 code to (for example) install a different early page fault
handler.

Can we fix this specific issue in the way I suggested (avoiding the
unnecessary m2p lookup entirely) and then discuss the merits of the page
fault handler approach as a separate topic?

David