[Xen-devel] panic("queue invalidate wait descriptor was not executed\n")

  • To: "xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: "Zytaruk, Kelly" <Kelly.Zytaruk@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 11 May 2016 13:51:59 +0000
  • Accept-language: en-US
  • Delivery-date: Wed, 11 May 2016 13:52:36 +0000

During Xen boot I am seeing the panic in the subject line from
.../xen/drivers/passthrough/vgt/qinval.c

From the Fault Status Register (= 0x40 (ITE)). I am seeing a hardware timeout
on the invalidate

Disabling queued invalidation is not an option.  I need to find out why the
operation is timing out and fix it.

I found two timeouts; one in software and one in hardware.
After the invalidate is submitted there is a wait packet submitted and the boot
software waits for the wait packet to complete in a loop with a software
timeout.  At the end of the software timeout it issues the panic.  I can
increase the software timeout but it still doesn't solve the problem.  Just
before the panic I dump the value of the Fault Status Register and I see that
the hardware has already timed out (FSTS_REG = 0x40 = ITE = "Invalidation
Timeout Error").  As a first step in solving this I would like to increase the
hardware timeout value.

I have the Intel spec and I was reading from the spec...

" Hardware starts an invalidation completion timer for this ITag, and issues
the invalidation request message to the specified endpoint. If the invalidation
command from software is for a first-level mapping, the invalidation request
message is generated with the appropriate PASID prefix to identify the target
PASID. The invalidation completion time-out value is recommended to be
sufficiently larger than the PCI-Express read completion time-outs. "

The above leads me to believe that there should be some way of setting the
invalidation completion time-out value.  Unfortunately I couldn't find anything
in the Intel spec that tells me how to set the "invalidation completion
time-out".   Can someone point me in the right direction to setting the
completion timer?

Thanks,
Kelly