Re: [Xen-devel] [RFC Design Doc] Intel L2 Cache Allocation Technology (L2 CAT) Feature enabling

On 13/05/2016 07:48, Jan Beulich wrote:

>>> Looks mostly like a direct (and hence reasonable) extension of what
>>> we have for L3 right now. One immediate question I have is whether
>>> tying this to per-socket information is a good idea. As soon as Xeon-s
>>> would also gain such functionality, things would (aiui) need to become
>>> per-core (as L2 is per core there iirc).
>>>
>> L2 Cache capability keeps the same through all cores in a socket, so we
>> make it per-socket to balance code complexity and accessibility.
>>
>> I am not a expert in scheduler, do you mean in some cases, a domain
>> would apply different L2 cache access pattern when it is scheduled on
>> different cores even though the cores are in the same socket?
> No, I mean different domains may be running on different cores,
> and hence different policies may be needed to accommodate them
> all.

From the description, it sounds like L2 behaves almost exactly like L3.
There is one set of capacity bitmaps which apply to all L2 caches in the
socket, and the specific capacity bitmap in effect is specified by
PSR_ASSOC CLOS, which is context switched with the vcpu.

~Andrew