Re: [Xen-devel] [RFC Design Doc] Intel L2 Cache Allocation Technology (L2 CAT) Feature enabling

>>> L2 Cache capability keeps the same through all cores in a socket, so we
>>> make it per-socket to balance code complexity and accessibility.
>>>
>>> I am not a expert in scheduler, do you mean in some cases, a domain
>>> would apply different L2 cache access pattern when it is scheduled on
>>> different cores even though the cores are in the same socket?
>> No, I mean different domains may be running on different cores,
>> and hence different policies may be needed to accommodate them
>> all.
>
> From the description, it sounds like L2 behaves almost exactly like L3.
> There is one set of capacity bitmaps which apply to all L2 caches in the
> socket, and the specific capacity bitmap in effect is specified by
> PSR_ASSOC CLOS, which is context switched with the vcpu.

Well, I suppose the description is implying per-socket L2s. For per-
core L2s I'd expect the MSRs to also become per-core.

But anyway, L2 or L3 - I can't see how this context switching would
DTRT when there are vCPU-s of different domains on the same
socket (or core, if L2s and MSRs were per-core): The one getting
scheduled later onto a socket (core) would simply overwrite what
got written for the one which had been scheduled earlier.

Jan