Re: [Xen-devel] Problem Reading from XenStore in DomU

On 15/05/16 17:40, Dagaen Golomb wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I'm having an interesting issue. I am working on a project that
> requires me to share memory between dom0 and domUs. I have this
> successfully working using the grant table and the XenStore to
> communicate grefs.
>
> My issue is this. I have one domU running Ubuntu 12.04 with a default
> 3.8.x kernel that has no issue reading or writing from the XenStore.
> My work also requires some kernel modifications, and we have made
> these changes in the 4.1.0 kernel. In particular, we've only added a
> simple hypercall. This modified kernel is what dom0 is running, on top
> of Xen 4.7 rc1.
>
> The guest I mentioned before with the default kernel can still read
> and write the XenStore just fine when on Xen 4.7 rc1 and with dom0
> running our kernel.
>
> The issue I'm having is with another newly created guest (i.e., it is
> not a copy of the working one, this is because I needed more space and
> couldn't expand the original disk image). It is also running Ubuntu
> 12.04 but has been upgraded to our modified kernel. On this guest I
> can write to the XenStore, and see that the writes were indeed
> successful using xenstore-ls in dom0. However, when this same guest
> attempts to read from the XenStore, it doesn't return an error code
> but instead just blocks indefinitely. I've waiting many minutes to
> make sure its not just blocking for a while, it appears like it will
> block forever. The block is happening when I start the transaction.
> I've also tried not using a transaction, in which case it blocks on
> the read itself.
>
> I have an inkling this may be something as simple as a configuration
> issue, but I can't seem to find anything. Also, the fact that writes
> work fine but reads do not is perplexing me.
>
> Any help would be appreciated!

Nothing should block like this.  Without seeing your patch, I can't
comment as to whether you have accidentally broken things.

Other avenues of investigation are to look at what the xenstored process
is doing in dom0 (is it idle? or is it spinning?), and to look in the
xenstored log file to see if anything suspicious occurs.

~Andrew