Re: [Xen-devel] making xenstore domain easy configurable

On 28/06/16 16:17, Doug Goldstein wrote:
> On 6/28/16 8:59 AM, Andrew Cooper wrote:

>>> It is limiting the solution by not allowing me to drop the sockets
>>> completely.
>> I don't think dropping the sockets completely is a sensible course of
>> action.  I had come the conclusion that you were just not going to use
>> them, as opposed to removing them entirely.
>>
>> For xenstored running in the same domain as the toolstack, sockets are
>> less overhead than the shared memory ring, as no hypercalls are
>> involved.  There is also the unfortunate problem that one of the two
>> linux devices for xenstored *still* causes deadlocks when used; a
>> problem which is unresolved from Linux 3.14.
> Since Xen 4.7 the broken devices won't be used by default. I understand
> that the socket interface is faster and less overhead but I guess my
> question is how much data is sent over this interface? Does it really
> matter the small performance difference to justify having two different
> methods and not trimming the code base down to one method?

My gut feeling is that the XenServer bootstorm scalability tests will
notice.  Our metric of "how fast is it to boot 1000 VMs" is very
important for VDI, as employees tend to get to work and try to log
during the same short time period.

~Andrew