Re: [Xen-devel] PVH hypercall interface

On 08/08/16 11:21, Marek Marczykowski-Górecki wrote:
> Hi,
>
> What hypercalls are available for PVH guests?

First of all, be aware that there is currently some chaos in the
codebase which is soon to be resolved.

What you are looking for is HVMLite, which will likely be renamed to PVH
once it is complete.  Original PVH will then be filed in /dev/null,
leaving only a set of lessons in git history.

> How is it different for HVM guests?

HVMLite guests are just HVM guests without qemu.

Roger (CC'd) is leading the effort.  You select an HVMLite guest by
choosing device-model = None in the xl configuration file, rather than
setting pvh=1

> Is it documented somewhere?

There are patches on the list.

Also, docs/misc/hvmlite.markdown

> For example I'd expect that do_mmu_update is available only for PV
> guests, but looking at the code I can't find anything preventing other
> guest types from using it (no, some obscure conditions deep in execution
> path doesn't count).

HVM guests use the hvm_hypercall_table, not the hypercall tables in entry.S

~Andrew