Re: [Xen-devel] Regression between Xen 4.6.0 and 4.7.0, Direct kernel boot on a qemu-xen and seabios HVM guest doesn't work anymore.

On 2016-09-05 13:43, Jan Beulich wrote:
On 05.09.16 at 13:19, <linux@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 2016-09-05 12:25, Jan Beulich wrote:
Anyway - with you quite clearly having used HAP before, I can't
see how this commit would matter for you at all. In case you want
to double check you could try with a hypervisor built without
shadow paging code (which we've been allowing for quite a
while).

I just tried that and without shadow paging code the guest boots fine,
so that's interesting.

Indeed. Was that try with plain staging/master, or with much of
the reverts in place (from the bisection)? It seems to me that
investigating this odd difference would perhaps be a better
route than trying to guess what's wrong with said commit.

Jan

It was a try with a tree at the culprit commit and editted xen/arch/x86/Rules.mk to disable the shadow paging code from being build.

Now just tried with unstable and using Kconfig, but with that build the guest doesn't boot.
So
or the KConfig option doesn't work
or the reliability isn't 100% afterall (but i should have noticed that earlier on i would say)
or there is something else (semantics around the disabling changed ?)

*sigh*, seems it's not going to be an easy one :-\

My /boot/xen-4.8-unstable.config gives:
#
# Architecture Features
#