Re: [Xen-devel] Unable to build with gcc 6 because of etherboot

On Thu, Sep 08, 2016 at 10:38:01AM -0400, Daniel E. Shub wrote:
> This is a follow on to a message I sent to xen-users:
> https://lists.xen.org/archives/html/xen-devel/2015-08/msg01924.html
>
> I am trying to compile Xen 4.7.0 with gcc 6.1.1, but I get an error
> related to etherboot. It was suggested to update the etherboot
> Makefile to the head of the etherboot repository. Another possibility
> would be to just pull in the gcc 6 patches from upstream (e.g.,
> https://git.ipxe.org/ipxe.git?a=search&h=refs%2Fheads%2Fmaster&st=commit&s=gcc+6).
>
> For 4.6.0 and gcc 5 the recommendation was to just pull in the patches
> (cf. https://lists.xen.org/archives/html/xen-devel/2015-08/msg01924.html)
> but to update the etherboot version at some point. Is the recommended
> course still to just patch as needed or has there been work to update
> the etherboot version?

To fix your issue immediately, pulling in a patch is ok. You are welcome
to submit a patch against xen-unstable for that if you have time.

Because ipxe doesn't do regular release so I don't really know what to
pull in.

Long term it might be useful for user to just supply a ipxe binary when
building xen.

Wei.