Re: [Xen-devel] [RFC 0/5] xen/arm: support big.little SoC

On Mon, Sep 19, 2016 at 10:53:56AM +0200, Julien Grall wrote:
>Hello,
>
>On 19/09/2016 10:36, Peng Fan wrote:
>>On Mon, Sep 19, 2016 at 10:09:06AM +0200, Julien Grall wrote:

>>>As mentioned in the mail you pointed above, this series is not enough to make
>>>big.LITTLE working on then. Xen is always using the boot CPU to detect the
>>>list of features. With big.LITTLE features may not be the same.
>>>
>>>And I would prefer to see Xen supporting big.LITTLE correctly before
>>>beginning to think to expose big.LITTLE to the userspace (via cpupool)
>>>automatically.
>>
>>Do you mean vcpus be scheduled between big and little cpus freely?
>
>By supporting big.LITTLE correctly I meant Xen thinks that all the cores has
>the same set of features. So the feature detection is only done the boot CPU.
>See processor_setup for instance...
>
>Moving vCPUs between big and little cores would be a hard task (cache line
>issue, and possibly feature) and I don't expect to ever cross this in Xen.
>However, I am expecting to see big.LITTLE exposed to the guest (i.e having
>big and little vCPUs).

big vCPUs scheduled on big Physical CPUs and little vCPUs scheduled on little
physical cpus, right?
If it is, is there is a need to let Xen think all the cores has the same set
of features?

Developing big.little guest support, I am not sure how much efforts needed.
Is this really needed?

>>This patchset is to use cpupool to block the vcpu be scheduled between big and
>>little cpus.
>>

>>>See for instance v->arch.actlr = READ_SYSREG32(ACTLR_EL1).
>>
>>Thanks for this. I only expose cpuid to guest, missed actlr. I'll check
>>the A53 and A72 TRM about AArch64 implementationd defined registers.
>>This actlr can be added to the cpupool_arch_info as midr.
>>
>>Reading "vcpu_initialise", seems only MIDR and ACTLR needs to be handled.
>>Please advise if I missed anything else.
>
>Have you check the register emulation?

Checked midr. Have not checked others.
I think I missed some registers in ctxt_switch_to.

>>>I am a bit confused with these runes. It means that only the first kind of
>>>CPUs have pool assigned. Why don't you directly create all the pools at boot
>>>time?
>>
>>If need to create all the pools, need to decided how many pools need to be
>>created.
>>I thought about this, but I do not come out a good idea.
>>
>>The cpupool0 is defined in xen/common/cpupool.c, if need to create many pools,
>>need to alloc cpupools dynamically when booting. I would not like to change a
>>lot to common code.
>
>Why? We should avoid to choose a specific design just because the common code
>does not allow you to do it without heavy change.
>
>We never came across the big.LITTLE problem on x86, so it is normal to modify
>the code.
>
>>The implementation in this patchset I think is an easy way to let Big and
>>Little
>>CPUs all run.
>
>I care about having a design allowing an easy use of big.LITTLE on Xen. Your
>solution requires the administrator to know the underlying platform and
>create the pool.

I suppose big.little is mainly used in embedded SoC :). So the user(developer?)
needs to know the hardware platform.

>In the solution I suggested, the pools would be created by Xen (and the info
>exposed to the userspace for the admin).

I think the reason to create cpupools to support big.little SoC is to
avoid vcpus scheduled between big and little physical cpus.

If need to support big.little guest, I think no need to create more
cpupools expect cpupoo0. Need to make sure vcpus not be scheduled between
big and little physical cpus. All the cpus needs to be in one cpupool.

>>>Also, in which pool a domain will be created if none is specified?

>>>So if I understand correctly, if the boot CPU is a little CPU, DOM0 will
>>>always be able to only use little ones. Is that right?
>>
>>Yeah. Dom0 only use the little ones.
>
>This is really bad, dom0 on normal case will have all the backends. It may
>not be possible to select the boot CPU, and therefore always get a little
>CPU.

Dom0 runs in cpupool0. cpupool0 only contains the cpu[0-3] in my case.

>Creating the pool at boot time would have avoid a such issue because, unless
>we expose big.LITTLE to dom0 (I would need the input of George and Dario for
>this bits), we could have a parameter to specify which set of CPUs (e.g pool)
>to allocate dom0 vCPUs.

dom0 is control domain, I think no need to expose big.little for dom0.
Pin VCPU to specific physical cpus, this may help support big.little guest.

>Note, that I am not asking you to implement everything. But I think we need a
>coherent view of big.LITTLE support in Xen today to go forward.

Yeah. Then you prefer supporting big.little guest?
Please advise if you have any plan/ideas or what I can do on this.

Thanks,
Peng.