Re: [Xen-devel] Adding new custom devices to Xen via QEMU

On Fri, Sep 30, 2016 at 03:20:09PM -0400, Jason Dickens wrote:
> Thanks Konrad,

[CC-ing Xen-devel again.]

> I think you and David have successfully answered my question and pointed me
> to the key code. I have already verified that the device operates if I move
> it into the space of the TPM, but see below for reasons why I don't really
> want that.  The conclusion I'm drawing from your help is that to add a
> device where I need it,  I have to modify xen at least for areas set up in
> xen_ram_init. I've also made a few comments inline below. Its perhaps worth
> the Xen team looking at why such modification is not necessary for KVM and
> considering supporting something more automatic. I don't know but I suspect
> that for KVM, RAM is anything not overridden by a hardware device.

I don't know KVM enough to tell you.

Keep in mind that under Xen you can launch guests without QEMU. That
means the orchestration and layout of memory is not in the hands
of QEMU (like it is with KVM). Hence xen_ram_init follows the suit of
what the ABI expects (where the MMIO region is, etc).

This is all good if you have an emulated IO device (which are under 1MB)
or an emulated PCI device as they all follow the norm an allocate
themsevles in well understood locations where there are no RAM.

> Jason
>
> On 9/30/2016 2:42 PM, Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk wrote:
> > On Fri, Sep 30, 2016 at 10:29:20AM -0400, Jason Dickens wrote:
> > > Thanks David,
> > >
> > > This could very well be the issue, but could you please elaborate?
> > > The questions that come up are the following:
> > > What is the physical address range given to RAM? What range of addresses
> > > would work for my device?
> > I am assuming that you implemented the emulation the same way
> > as other devices - that is you picked an MMIO region for your
> > device?
> Yes its essentially the same way of choosing memory as the tpm-tis.c
> implementation.

Which AFAICT works with Xen.

> > > And, if this is the case, how would I unpopulate the RAM?
> > See xen_ram_init. But I would just choose an region that is
> > most definitly in MMIO (or IO) region for your emulation.
> As I said in a previous post there are important reasons why I need this
> device in a non-standard location. The nature the project has me searching
> for a sanitized but satisfying explanation for this post.  Its not that I
> couldn't move it, as I said above I tried the setting the address range in
> the TPM space and it worked.  I think what I'll say is the following:
> 1. Its for a proprietary, transparent, and invisible security feature.
> 2. It has to collaborate with other transparent features which help define
> its location (perhaps restrict the location is more correct).
>
> > > There are reasons for the address chosen, and it works on other
> > > hypervisors
> > > (e.g. KVM) so although it might be easiest to change the address I really
> > What qemu call do you use to carve out the ranges for your device?
> The realization function uses:
> memory_region_add_subregion(isa_address_space(ISA_DEVICE(dev)),PORT_ADDR_BASE,
> &s->mmio);

Which should have worked? It didn't?