[Xen-devel] Stubdom GMP build failure for gcc 6

Hi all

There have been a few reports on stubdom build failure with gcc 6
toolchain. I spent some time yesterday to figure what went wrong. Here
is what I found.

When building GMP library, its configure script generates small C
programs to determine various aspects of the system. Unfortunately the
build rune for it is incorrect, so the test program ends up consuming
newlib headers while linking against the host glibc. It's amazing that
this even worked in the past few years! :-)

Unfortunately my attempt to fix it by providing LDFLAGS="-nostdlib
-LXXX" doesn't work. It turns out that there is no crt generated in
newlib. I'm not sure if that's because the newlib port is incomplete or
I haven't discovered a way to teach it to generate one.

So what should we do with this? I'm not sure if I can come up with a
non-intrusive patch quickly.  GMP is only used by tpm emulator, so for
the imminent 4.8 release I can write a patch to disable building that.

Ultimately we need to have a proper solution, because there can be other
breakages in the future. And I do wish users who need tpm emulator can
continue to use it. I don't have a clear answer as to how many people
care about this and how can we fix it.

Thoughts?

Wei.