Re: [Xen-devel] Stubdom GMP build failure for gcc 6

>>> On 28.10.16 at 14:10, <wei.liu2@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> There have been a few reports on stubdom build failure with gcc 6
> toolchain. I spent some time yesterday to figure what went wrong. Here
> is what I found.
>
> When building GMP library, its configure script generates small C
> programs to determine various aspects of the system. Unfortunately the
> build rune for it is incorrect, so the test program ends up consuming
> newlib headers while linking against the host glibc. It's amazing that
> this even worked in the past few years! :-)
>
> Unfortunately my attempt to fix it by providing LDFLAGS="-nostdlib
> -LXXX" doesn't work. It turns out that there is no crt generated in
> newlib. I'm not sure if that's because the newlib port is incomplete or
> I haven't discovered a way to teach it to generate one.

Considering that they can't reasonably try to run any of these
test programs (after all this is a cross build), wouldn't it suffice to
make up crt*.o just for the configure process, and just providing
the necessary symbols to make linking succeed? Agreed this, if
anything, makes the present situation even uglier, but it might
work.

But what I'm not understanding - what did change with gcc 6
here? There's surely no libc version dependency in the compiler,
so whatever worked in older gcc for linking purposes should work
here too.

Jan