Re: [Xen-devel] qemu-upstream triggering OOM killer

On Fri, Feb 10, 2017 at 02:54:23AM -0700, Jan Beulich wrote:
> > On Thu, 9 Feb 2017, Jan Beulich wrote:
> >> the recent qemuu update results in the produced binary triggering the
> >> OOM killer on the first system I tried the updated code on. Is there
> >> anything known in this area? Are there any hints as to finding out
> >> what is going wrong?
> >
> > Do you mean QEMU upstream (from qemu.org) or qemu-xen/staging (that
> > hasn't changed much in the last couple of months)?
>
> The latter. The diff to my last snapshot (from early January) is 6.6Mb
> though - I wouldn't call this "hasn't changed much". Looks like Anthony
> did update to 2.8.0 in early January (a day or two after I had last
> snapshotted it).

Yes, I did the update.

> > Do you know if it's something Xen specific?
>
> Not so far. It appears to happen when grub clears the screen
> before displaying its graphical menu, so I'd rather suspect an issue
> with a graphics related change (the one you pointed out isn't).

I tried to reproduce this, by limiting the amount of memory available to
qemu using cgroups, but about 44MB of memory is enough to boot a guest
(tried Ubuntu and Debian).

How much memory did qemu try to use?
What guest did you try to boot?
What the xl configuration?