Re: [Xen-devel] [GSoc] GSoc Introduction : Xen on ARM: create multiple guests from device tree

Hi Stefano,

Kindly suggest me reading material that could help me understand and
come up with the proposal.

On Tue, Mar 28, 2017 at 1:38 PM, Stefano Stabellini
<sstabellini@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I would also like to take the opportunity to remind you of the upcoming
> deadline for applications submissions, which is the 3rd of April for
> GSoC, see:
>
> http://marc.info/?l=xen-devel&m=149071502330534
>
> The GSoC application system is
> https://summerofcode.withgoogle.com/get-started/.
>
> Please give a look at the Xen Project application template here:
>
> https://wiki.xenproject.org/wiki/GSoC_Student_Application_Template
>
> It also includes an "Implementation Plan", where you have the chance to
> explain the implementation plan for the projects you would like to apply
> for. You can apply for more than one project if you want to.

Thanks for the reminder Stefano. I will post some questions about my
implementation plan.

I would like to spend my time fixing the bug but as deadline is
approaching , I would like to know the bare essential expected in the
proposal?

> Thanks,
>
> Stefano
>

> On Mon, 27 Mar 2017, Stefano Stabellini wrote:
>> Hello Methuku,
>>
>> It is great to hear that you are interested in working on Xen on ARM.
>> It's good that you already know how to build and install Xen on an ARM
>> board.
>>
>> Do you have serial access to your Nvidia Jetson TK1? If not, I would
>> suggest to setup another test environment based on a different board, or
>> simply use the ARM Foundation Platform which is a free (as in beer)
>> software emulator.
>>
>> In terms of bug fixes, you could give a look at
>>
>> https://xenproject.atlassian.net/projects/XEN/issues
>>
>> Most of the items listed are large projects, but some of them are pretty
>> small, small enough to be a starting point. For example XEN-29 (Add
>> -fstack-protector support to the hypervisor), XEN-30 (Make out-of-tree
>> builds work) or XEN-38 (Xen - Embed .config in Xen binary).

I  started working on XEN-38 for now. But i am also interested to look
into XEN-30.

>> Cheers,
>>
>> Stefano
>>

>> On Mon, 27 Mar 2017, Methuku Karthik wrote:
>> > Hi Everyone,
>> >
>> > My name is Karthik. I am a first year graduate student in Embedded Systems
>> > at University of Pennsylvania. I am avid c, c++ and python programmer.I
>> > have 4 years of
>> > work experience as Embedded Software developer at Airbus.
>> >
>> > For the last four months I have been working as a research assistant in
>> > PRECISE lab at the University of Pennsylvania, helping Meng Xu (cc.ed) to
>> > evaluate the
>> > performance of the Xen's RTDS scheduler.
>> >
>> > I'm interested in the following two projects. I'm happy to work on one of
>> > them.
>> > (1) Share a page in memory from the VM config file.
>> > (2)  Xen on ARM: create multiple guests from device tree.
>> >
>> > I have experience in compiling Xen and installing it on ARM board(Nvidia
>> > Jetson TK1). I'm also well equiped in using the xl tool to manage the VMs.
>> >
>> > I noticed that I should contribute some bug fixes to be able to get the
>> > ticket to the Xen GSoC.
>> > Do you have some suggestions on how I should start?
>> > Do you have a list of simple bugs that I can fix?
>> >
>> > I'm very interested in the Xen Project. I want to become a Xen contributor
>> > in the near future.
>> >
>> > Thank you very much for your help!
>> >
>> > Best,
>> > Karthik