From: "Lars Kurth" <lars.kurth.xen@xxxxxxxxx>
To: "Ishani" <chugh.ishani@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: "cardoe" <cardoe@xxxxxxxxxx>, "xen-devel" <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
"Andrew Cooper" <andrew.cooper3@xxxxxxxxxx>, "Wei Liu" <wei.liu2@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, April 11, 2017 5:22:02 PM
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] [Outreachy] Interested in contribution: Code Standards
Checking using clang-format

Ishani,

> On 11 Apr 2017, at 12:21, Ishani <chugh.ishani@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> Hello,
>
> I have created a clang-format file for specifications of format for Xen
> hypervisor and incorporated all of the support which present clang-format
> could provide. I have seen all the options provided by clang-format and have
> some discrepancies regarding some of format specifications which are not
> provided in the doc but is followed. I will commit the code and provide you
> with full report by today.

Can you post this on any public repo for now (e.g. github gitlab bitbucket,
whatever) and post an e-mail on this list with title "[RFC] Code Standards
Checking using clang-format" or something like it with link to the repo. I
think this is enough for the small task required for this project.

Ideally, because at some point you will need to do this, you would follow
https://wiki.xenproject.org/wiki/Submitting_Xen_Project_Patches - but we could
waive this in this case. But it will make reviewing the output easier.

>> 4: a small script that checks that .clang-format works correctly on these
>> pieces of code
>
>> For 4, you probably want to run clang-format with -output-replacements-xml
>> on the files in 1 >- 3 and then do some grep magic to see whether it does
>> the right thing.
>
> Can you elaborate on this a bit. What is the expected end product?

I think this is a stretch goal, given the time-frame. The idea here was to be
able to verify that the clang-format file works as expected on some code
snippets that we know adhere to the coding standards. This would in essence
produce a stand-alone test for the .clang-format file on the coding style
patterns that we know works.

> Meanwhile, I have resumed on writing the proposal. I somehow missed previous
> comments. Please have a look at it.
> https://docs.google.com/document/d/10NJn-QvO1TvyJJJGE2PD6FtElYCT3neBAffIqeWHdiE/edit?usp=sharing

I saw it. Thank you!

Best Regards