Re: [Xen-devel] [ARM] Native application design and discussion (I hope)

On 27/04/17 18:26, Volodymyr Babchuk wrote:
Hi Julien,

Hi Volodymyr,

I'm back with profiler results.

Oh, yes. Sorry I forgot this thread. Continuing on that, you said that "Now
profiler shows that hypervisor spends time in spinlocks and p2m code."

Could you expand here? How the EL0 app will spend time in p2m code?
I don't quite remember. It was somewhere around p2m save/restore
context functions.
I'll try to restore that setup and will provide more details.
So, there are top 5 functions:

p2m_restore_state - 10.6%

This is with your el0_app branch? Or did you make some changes?

For instance, the p2m_restore_state has been reworked for Xen 4.9 and some of the isb() could be dropped.

spin_lock - 8.4%
spin_unlock_irqrestore - 6%

I am a bit confused on what you are profiling. Are you only profiling context save/restore? Or do you also profile the rest of the hypervisor?

E.g, how many time spin_*lock are called... That would help to know if the problem is because of the number of locks taken or potential optimization that we didn't implement.

ctxt_switch_to_partial - 5.7%
gicv2_hcr_status - 4.6%

Cheers,

per-source-file statistics: