Re: [Xen-devel] [xen-unstable test] 108068: regressions - FAIL

Andrew Cooper writes ("Re: [Xen-devel] [xen-unstable test] 108068: regressions
- FAIL"):
> This is known, and has definitely been discussed before on xen-devel
> before (although it involved IanC last time he looked at these tests, so
> a while ago now).
>
> In an APCI view of the world, the two pieces of information you can
> convey is "The user pressed the power button", and "The user pressed the
> sleep button".
>
> Windows typically defaults these to suspend and sleep, not shutdown.
> Neither suspend nor sleep are typically available to VMs (unless you
> alter the apci_* defaults in the xl.cfg file).
>
> You must explicitly change the defaults to always treat the power button
> as poweroff, or install PV drivers which will intercept the PV protocol
> and DTRT before the toolstack falls back to ACPI event.

The VM images we are using are the ones from Citrix's XenRT.  They are
supposed to have the PV drivers, I think.  If this theory were the
whole of the explanation, the problem would be repeatable and
universal.

> Another issue which gets in the way is windows deciding to install
> updates, which can result in reboots at any point when other options
> have been selected.  I presume the COLO firewall should prevent all
> behaviour like that?

In theory the guest could guess at the location of the squid proxy and
get out that way.  But I have just checked the squid logs and there is
nothing from the guest's IP address there.  So I think I can rule that
out.

Ian.