Re: [Xen-devel] [ARM] Native application design and discussion (I hope)

On 05/08/2017 07:31 PM, Stefano Stabellini wrote:
On Mon, 8 May 2017, George Dunlap wrote:
On 05/05/17 20:28, Stefano Stabellini wrote:
On Fri, 5 May 2017, Andrii Anisov wrote:
Hello Stefano,

On 24.04.17 21:08, Stefano Stabellini wrote:
Stubdomains (stubdoms in short) are small domains, each running a single
application. Typically they run unikernels rather than a full fledged
operating system. A classic example is QEMU stubdoms on x86: one QEMU
stubdoms is started for each regular guest domain. Each QEMU stubdom
instance provides emulation for one guest - it runs one instance of
QEMU.
I'm wondering if there are any examples of practical usage of stub domains
with ARM?

Good question. I don't think so: there have been practical examples of
unikernels running on Xen on ARM, but not stubdoms, because we haven't
needed to run large emulation pieces yet.

So often when we say "stub domains" we mean specifically, "devicemodel
stub domains".  But there are many other stub domains for other
purposes.  You can run xenstored in a stubdomain rather than in dom0,
for instance; I think this probably already works on ARM.  I believe
that the PV vTPM architecture also has one vTPM "worker" per guest,
along with a "global" domain to control the physical TPM and multiplex
it over the various vTPMs.

TPM is an x86 concept, but xenstored stubdom is possible.

Althought they don't have to, stubdoms are typically based on mini-os
(git://xenbits.xen.org/mini-os.git) which only has 32-bit ARM support
today. However, it should be possible to run a 32-bit stubdom on a
64-bit host.

The 32-bit ARM support in Mini-OS has never been completed. Hopefully
someone will finish it soon.

Cheers,

--
Julien Grall