Re: [Xen-devel] xl create failure on arm64 with XEN 4.9rc6

On Thu, May 25, 2017 at 12:56 PM, Julien Grall <julien.grall@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> (CC toolstack maintainers)
>
> On 25/05/2017 19:58, Feng Kan wrote:
>>
>> Hi All:
>

> Hello,
>
>> This is not specifically against the XEN 4.9. I am using 4.12rc2
>> kernel on arm64 platform. Started dom0 fine with ACPI enabled, but
>> failed when creating the domU guest. Xen is built natively on the
>> arm64 platform. Using the same kernel and ramdisk as dom0. Any idea as
>> why it is stuck here
>> would be greatly appreciated?
>

> The first step would to try a stable release if you can. Also, it would be
> useful if you provide information about the guest (i.e the configuration)
> and your .config for the kernel.
I am using the default xen_defconfig in the arm64 directory. This is
very early on
in building the domain, would the guest configuration matter?

> I gave a try on Linux 4.12rc2 and I was not able to reproduce your error.
Thanks, I started with 4.11 and work my way up. I have the same
problem in both cases.

>> xc: error: panic: xc_dom_boot.c:178: xc_dom_boot_domU_map: failed to
>> mmap domU pages 0x450c2+0x2f3d [mmap, errno=22 (Invalid ar
>> gument), chunksize 0x1000]: Internal error
>> libxl: error: libxl_dom.c:679:libxl__build_dom: xc_dom_build_image
>> failed: Invalid argument
>> domainbuilder: detail: xc_dom_release: called
>> libxl: error: libxl_create.c:1217:domcreate_rebuild_done: Domain
>> 1:cannot (re-)build domain: -3
>> libxl: debug: libxl_domain.c:1140:devices_destroy_cb: Domain 1:Forked
>> pid 2477 for destroy of domain
>> libxl: debug: libxl_create.c:1646:do_domain_create: Domain 0:ao
>> 0x1ae10cb0: inprogress: poller=0x1ae10d40, flags=i
>> libxl: debug: libxl_event.c:1869:libxl__ao_complete: ao 0x1ae10cb0:
>> complete, rc=-3
>> libxl: debug: libxl_event.c:1838:libxl__ao__destroy: ao 0x1ae10cb0:
>> destroy
>> libxl: debug: libxl_domain.c:871:libxl_domain_destroy: Domain 1:ao
>> 0x1ae10cb0: create: how=(nil) callback=(nil) poller=0x1ae10d
>> 40
>>
>> Seem to failed when mmapping pages for the ramdisk. I did some digging
>> and the failure
>> occurs during the  IOCTL_PRIVCMD_MMAPBATCH_V2 call. It seems the
>> 8192's page had a err code of -22.
>

> -22 is -EINVAL. There are quite a few path return -EINVAL, did you try to
> narrow the failure in the kernel?
I dug a bit deeper, in privcmd_ioctl_mmap_batch, a global error was detected for
mmap_batch_fn during the mapping of the second half of  0x2f3d of pages. I am
still trying to track down why it is the 8192th element that cause the
problem. seem
like too much of coincidence its the first element of the second half.

>  The system have plenty of memory.
>>
>> Afterward, a null guest is created.
>> As a side note, how do I get rid of it?
>

> Normally the domain should be destroyed by the tools if the building failed.
>
> You should be able to destroy it using 'xl domain domid' where domid is the
> domain ID of the domain. If it does not work, then it means dom0 is holding
> reference on some page belonging to that domain.
Make sense, since I can rename it but destroy it still left it as null.