Re: [Xen-devel] Interrupt issues with hvm_emulate_one_vm_event()

On 29/05/2017 12:46, Razvan Cojocaru wrote:

>>> With some patience, I've been able to catch the problem: "(XEN)
>>> vmx_inject_event(3, 14) but 0, 225 pending".
>>>
>>>  63 /*
>>>  64  * x86 event types. This enumeration is valid for:
>>>  65  *  Intel VMX: {VM_ENTRY,VM_EXIT,IDT_VECTORING}_INTR_INFO[10:8]
>>>  66  *  AMD SVM: eventinj[10:8] and exitintinfo[10:8] (types 0-4 only)
>>>  67  */
>>>  68 enum x86_event_type {
>>>  69     X86_EVENTTYPE_EXT_INTR,         /* External interrupt */
>>>  70     X86_EVENTTYPE_NMI = 2,          /* NMI */
>>>  71     X86_EVENTTYPE_HW_EXCEPTION,     /* Hardware exception */
>>>  72     X86_EVENTTYPE_SW_INTERRUPT,     /* Software interrupt (CD nn) */
>>>  73     X86_EVENTTYPE_PRI_SW_EXCEPTION, /* ICEBP (F1) */
>>>  74     X86_EVENTTYPE_SW_EXCEPTION,     /* INT3 (CC), INTO (CE) */
>>>  75 };
>>>
>>> so an X86_EVENTTYPE_EXT_INTR is pending when we're trying to inject an
>>> X86_EVENTTYPE_HW_EXCEPTION, as a result of the code quoted above.
>> So this confirms our suspicion, but doesn't move us closer to a
>> solution. The question after all is why an external interrupt is
>> being delivered prior to or while emulating. As Andrew did
>> explain, proper behavior would be to check for external
>> interrupts and don't enter emulation if one is pending, or don't
>> check for external interrupts until the _next_ instruction
>> boundary. Correct architectural behavior will result either way;
>> the second variant merely must not continuously defer interrupts
>> (i.e. there need to be instruction boundaries at which hardware
>> of software do check for them).
>>
>> I'm not that familiar with the sequence of steps when dealing
>> with emulation requests from an introspection agent, so I would
>> hope you could go through those code paths to see where
>> external interrupts are being checked for. Or wait - isn't your
>> problem that you invoke emulation out of hvm_do_resume() (via
>> hvm_vm_event_do_resume() -> hvm_emulate_one_vm_event()),
>> which happens after all other "normal" processing of a VM exit?
>> Perhaps emulation should be skipped there if an event is already
>> pending injection, as emulation not having started means we still
>> are on an instruction boundary?
> Indeed, we are emulating after all the vmexit processing has already
> happened, in the hvm_do_resume() path you've mentioned.
>
> Not emulating if an event is pending injection is certainly trivial to
> test - however, since then we would have to lose the emulation attempt,
> presumably the EPT fault event would show up again (a "duplicate" event)
> in this case (since it is no longer safe to assume that we land on the
> same RIP after the interrupt has been handled, and thus the next
> hvm_do_resume() may not happen where we wanted to emulate).
>
> I'll test this scenario out.

The problem is in .Lvmx_do_vmentry.  We call vmx_intr_assist() before
vmx_process_softirqs()

Therefore, when the EPT violation occurs and we break for introspection,
we still process pending interrupts before finally getting desheduled to
wait for the vm_event reply.  On receiving the vm_event reply, we
emulate the instruction, and find that an interrupt has already been
queued from before, but not yet delivered.

Untangling this going to be complicated.

~Andrew